24/7 Sports Talk

NBA: Who does the NBA Finals format really benefit?

by JT

I researched a fact I didn’t know and found out that the NBA Finals has had the 2-3-2 format since 1985. I personally didn’t realize the format was like this until 2008, did I have my head in the sand for that long? Probably but who does this format really benefit?
We go the 3 previous series 2-2-1-1-1, I know it sounds like an illegal zone but why does it change during the final series, no pun intended? I feel like the rest of the playoffs are not broken so why change during the Finals, it allows for less traveling but what is an extra plane ride or two going to do when you are riding a jet or 1st class?
The rule of thumb is the home team will win the 1st 2 games, lose the next 3 on the road and then have the last 2 games at home to claim the championship. It sounds great in a perfect world right? Nowadays when the home team splits their two games it leaves them behind the eight ball to regain control of a very important series with all of the marbles on the line. Last year we saw the Thunder have home court split the two in their palace go to Miami and meet their fate.
I didn’t do the whole numbers search to see the full breakdown but I know playing your opponent on the road for 3 games straight is no fun. In my opinion the team with the best regular season record is at a disadvantage. What's the point in having the best record when it could backfire on you in the most important part of the season?
Let us know how you feel about the format? Do you agree? Disagree? Or really don't care? Drop a line and let us know.
-JT

No comments:

Post a Comment