24/7 Sports Talk

TRT Ban in MMA

by Lance LeVan

Holy Hell, Batman.  They've been talking about it and talking about it, but I NEVER thought they would go through with it.  But the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC) has finally banned applications for therapeutic use exemptions (TUE) for testosterone replacement therapy (TRT) in boxing and MMA.  This is the state that is the home to the UFC and a large percentage of their fights. 


 The California State Athletic Commission also issued a statement that they are in the process of banning TUE for TRT and that California completely supports Nevada's decision.  As soon as the NSAC had announced its ruling, the UFC's president, Dana White announced that the UFC fully supports their decision.  I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but I am fairly certain that a large percentage of professional fighters are on TRT, on some level.  I will keep my personal opinions to myself for the moment.

In a more local setting, I personally know of more than a few martial artists and MMA fighters who are using TRT.  And not that I'm an expert or anything, but in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, when I roll with someone, I can USUALLY tell if they are on something.  They are just a LITTLE too strong for their size...or they're just slightly too amped up when we're sparring.  Yes...it is possible that they've been working out more...or that they are just hyped up on a pre-workout drink.  But I doubt it.  

From research I've done...the average testosterone level in men is between 350 and 1200 (roughly).  It seems logical to me, if the NSAC tests a fighter and he is below 1200, then there shouldn't be a problem.  If he is on TRT and he is within tolerances, they shouldn't have a problem with it.  I have a friend who had his testosterone levels checked and he was around 100.  Even with TRT, it put him in the 300 range.  Does this mean that he would never be able to be a fighter in Nevada or California...?  I understand why these athletic commissions are doing this.  They are trying to keep these sports on a "level playing field", so to speak.  If you have two (2) combatants, both weighing 170lbs, both 5'10", both 30 years old, both have been training the same amount of time and one of them is natural and the other is on huge levels of TRT, which one of them do you think is going to have the advantage in the ring...?