24/7 Sports Talk

The Weekly Muck: NFL Picks from the Black Lagoon Week 7

by Gene Henke
NFL Picks for Week 7. Photo credit NFL 
In the words of one of my all-time favorite movie characters; Wooderson (Dazed and Confused), “alriiiighttt, alriiiiiiighttt.” The Swampman is off to a great start bringing you his NFL picks outta the Muck delivering four out of five winners last weekend. I did say that I would earn your trust in no time! For those of you who are reading The Muck for the first time, welcome! Just to reiterate, Swampthing gives you his top five NFL picks every week in addition to his reasoning why. Yes, I am talking in the third person. The Swampthing likes it. Last week I supplied you with a bucket full of five slimy spoilers and while 4 of them covered, three of them won outright! That’s what Swampy is talking about baby! This week I have three slimy spoliers as well as two small favorites in store for ya. The SwampKing is looking forward to providing you with some unique perspective on NFL matchups. This is just to look at things maybe a little differently than you may have at first. Think of it as a friendly insight to consider before making your big picks this week. That’s what I’m here for, afterall the Swampy loves you baby! Remember that and write it down! Enjoy friends:


New York Jets +3.5:

So far this season the best rollercoaster in town goes by the name of “Geno and the Jets.” It is quite the
attraction in the NFL theme park and the Swampman loves his rollercoasters! I will be first in line this
weekend and am hopping back on it. The Jets go up one week, and then come crashing down the next.
We faded Geno and the Jerks off of a short week facing a desperate veteran Steelers team fresh out of
their bye. You know what this means don’t ya?! Based off of the rollercoaster theory, the Jets will go
up this weekend. In other words, we shall back the Jets as they take off versus their way too familiar
foe, the New England Patriots. The Jets surprisingly hung tough against the Pats the first time around in
week two. I believe that game despite the loss, gave them confidence, confidence indeed. What I mean
by that is, they almost squeaked out a win in New England on that rainy Thursday night game. They
frustrated Brady and executed a solid gameplan throughout the bout. Although Geno crumbled in the
fourth quarter with a couple turnovers as he is prone to doing, the Pats will be weakened on defense
this time around. I think the Jets offense will be able to run the rock effectively without the stout
defensive tackle big Vince Wilfork clogging up the middle. The Patriots will also be without stud LB Jerod Mayo and possibly top CB Aqib Talib. Those are some major key players in this defense. Also I’m not sure if you have heard but, The Jets offensive line is pretty damn good. By giving Geno enough time, he may actually be able to keep this thing close by doing just enough through the air. We also have already seen just how strong and dominant the Jet defense can be when they want to. We know that there isn’t anything that Rex and the Jets want more then to beat Belichek and the Pats especially while defending their house. I know it is hard to go against Mr. Brady, especially after what he did last week. The man is a one of the greatest quarterbacks. I advise you to listen to the Swamp whispers, close your eyes and take the points in this one. Barring some Jet turnovers, this game will be close.

Detroit Lions -2.5:

This matchup in particular has game of the week potential. Two 4-2 teams who are historically toward the bottom of the league will take the field with hopes of getting a tremendously important win. The Lions seem to be hitting stride lately with their explosive offense and now the defense is coming along as well. Detroit’s defense seems to be playing better and better. Maybe they are now realizing that they can be as good as they want to be. On the other hand, I think the Bungles are a good team, no doubt about it. Like the Lions, they are loaded with talent. However I think they are quite overrated. Buffalo’s Thad Lewis, a backup QB making his first start last week nearly beat them. I think Dalton is regressing a smidge this season and the Lion defensive line will cause a ruckus forcing him into a few costly mistakes, just like they did to Weeden last weekend. With the Lion offensive line giving Stafford time in the pocket lately, he has been able to throw the ball all over the field. Megatron is a week healthier and when he and Reggie Bush are both on the field; it is a combination extremely hard to stop, nearly impossible. You have to account for two studs in both the short and deep passing game. I like the Lions to assert themselves among the playoff contenders in the NFC after an impressive win at home this week. I believe they will beat the Bungs and begin a nice run for themselves during the meat of this season. The Lions will roar Sunday.

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS +7:

The Bucs were the only pick that did me wrong last week while chalking up another loss. Nick Foles impressed me and I admittedly underestimated him last week, I will get into that more on my next pick. Despite the loss, Mike Glennon had a solid start as I anticipated. It just turned out to be not enough against the Eagles. McGlennon will continue to improve game by game and I think the Bucs will definitely keep this divisional battle closer than seven points. He is building a repertoire with standout
WR Vincent Jackson. McGlennon and Vinny Jack should become quite the combination as the season
progresses. In their last game, Atlanta looked atrocious against the Jets. This was a game where they
were on a national stage at home and were expected to deliver a win in convincing fashion. They
proceeded to get their butts handed to them and were worked and embarrassed by the lowly Jets.
Although, they had a bye week to dwell on it and should come out strong this weekend, that defense
still has far too many holes to be beating anybody by seven points. The Swamp is foreseeing a much
closer game than the line indicates and thinks the Bucs may even get their first win here. Here is a little
lightbulb for ya: three out of the five Tampa Bay losses this year were by three points or fewer. The
Falcons lost their best offensive player in Julio Jones and are severely banged up on both sides of the
ball. The Bucs should be able to run the ball effectively with the Muscle Hamster and pick this defense
apart through the air. Atlanta will struggle to move the ball without their top WR and possibly top RB
Steven Jackson once again. I also am not a believer in head coach Mike Smith by any means. In other
words, take the points here with a smile!

PHILADEPHIA EAGLES -2.5:

As I mentioned in the previous write up, Nick Foles was excellent last week. He really impressed me.
After that performance, I think they are actually better off with him at QB instead of Michael Vick. That
being said, this weekend I like the Eagles to pull out a win at home against their divisional rival the Dallas Cowboys. The Cowboys are without top RB DeMarco Murray and defensive captain DeMarcus Ware, which is a major DeMarcProblem. The NFC East is busted wide open right now. Even the Giants who are 0-6 have a small shot at making a run. All four of these teams have been struggling at times this season and will most likely all beat each other each once this year. I think the Cowboys are in trouble this weekend and that the Eagles really have something in Nickfoleon Dynamite. He will dink and dunk all over this Cowboy defense with the threat of Shady McCoy out of the backfield. Philly just has to find a way to lockdown Mr. Dez Bryant which is a task much easier said than done. However I believe the Eagles will blitz Romo and he will have one of those gunslinger after one too many drinks type of games. Go home Romo your drunk! Eagles get it done at home.

***BLACK LAGOON BONUS PICK: TENNESSEE TITANS +5:

The Tennessee Titans have been playing teams very tough thus far. Their defense is as tough and hardnosed as it gets. They will surely get up for this game in Tennessee versus a Super Bowl contender
San Francisco 49ers. The Titans will treat this as a mini Super Bowl of their own. I almost picked them
last week against the Seattle Seahawks. The fact that the game was in Seattle caused me to run the
other way however they proceeded to give Seattle a bit of a scare. I think Seattle is much better team
than San Fran. The fact that the Titans were able to play Seattle tough like that gives me confidence
that they will have even more success against the Niners. Although the mighty 49ers are a great team,
they have shown to be beatable at points this season afterall. Their defense can is loaded with talent
but is without complicated defensive end Aldon Smith for another game while he takes some personal
time to get his head right. The absence of Aldon on the defensive line affects the productivity of other
pass rushers like his brother from another mother Justin Smith and their secondary is nothing special.
Ryan Fitzpatrick gave this team a small spark and a running back like Chris Johnson can also have success against this defense with his quickness. I expect him to have a nice day. I think that they will hang around in this game and possibly even pull out an upset. The 49er offense also seems to struggle a bit versus tough defenses. If they can contain Frankie Gore and lock down the passing game I like their chances. Take the home dawgie here with confidence. WOOF! WOOF!

Well everybody that about does it for this week’s version of the Weekly Muck. Just like last week go
ahead and absorb this knowledge and impress your friends and family with your genius. This is my
gift to you because why? Because the SwampMan loves his readers oh so much! I’m headed back to
impressing the peasants of the swamp. Feel free to tweet me at @swampy_swami with any questions
regarding my insight on any games I didn’t mention above, or leave a comment below and I will get back to you as soon as I can. I am still working on figuring this whole twitter thing out as I mentioned last week, but I think I got a pretty good grasp on it now so I hope to hear from you! As always, thank you for reading ladies and gents. I will be back next week with another addition of The Weekly Muck. So until then, have a good one and enjoy some football this weekend. CHEERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment