24/7 Sports Talk

One-on-One With Jason Terry

by Rodney Fisher

Jason Terry has only spent one season with the Boston Celtics and now finds his name mentioned in trade rumors along with the head coach that brought him to town. After winning a NBA championship in 2011 with the Dallas Mavericks, avenging a 2006 loss to the Miami Heat, his eight year run with the team he loved came to an abrupt end when owner Mark Cuban decided to get ahead of the new collective bargaining agreement culture of today's NBA.

We had the chance to speak with Jet about trade rumors, Jason Kidd, The Finals, Dallas Mavericks, and his own head coaching aspirations.


 Immediately after he was officially a free agent, it was Boston Celtics head coach Doc Rivers that called Jason personally to get him in a green uniform as soon as possible. Doc was always a fan of Terry's since he had the chance to coach him in the Goodwill Games. When he visited Dallas to play his former team, Rivers told me how important it was to get Jet quickly.

"He is a perfect match for this team", said Rivers, "and we wanted to get him here right away."




This offseason, he finds himself the subject of trade rumors that include Doc Rivers while he tries to focus on rehabbing from a minor knee surgery.

"I had a little minor surgery on my left knee about two weeks ago. I'm doing physical therapy trying to get back healthy for next season, " says Jet.

When asked about possibly losing Doc Rivers he said, "It would be hard to lose Doc Rivers. I played for him this last season...He is a great coach, probably top five all-time in my era as far as coaches. To lose him it would be tough."

"I have also been mentioned in those trade rumors, but that is nothing new to me. It's part of the business."

Terry has been mentioned as the other piece or contract needed to make a Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett to the Los Angles Clippers for DeAndre Jordan and Eric Bledsoe trade work. Although the Clippers have reportedly taken Bledsoe off the table and continue to interview other coaching candidates, talks between the franchises continue.

Terry - "My main and sole purpose this offseason is just getting healthy. Once I'm healthy, then I can figure it out, but as of right now I am a Celtic. I love playing for the Boston Celtics. If I were to move on, it would totally be on them."

Jet does understand the business of basketball does not always agree with what your personal feelings. "It's a business, I understand. Espicially leaving Dallas, [because] I never wanted to leave Dallas, but it just happened the way it did...If it happens I will turn the another page on my career, and hopefully it will be on a team that's a championship contender because that's what it is all about now. How many championships can a solidify before I'm all done."

Many Dallas Mavericks fans still look at the break-up off the 2011 team and wonder what if. If that team stand together, how many championships could they have won?

"I think it was a curse and a blessing they broke that team up. The curse is we didn't have another opportunity to go and defend that title with the team that won it, but the blessing is that there will never be another Maverick team to come through and have a special run like we did in 2011...That was just a special group of guys."

I asked Jason about his former Mavs teammate Jason Kidd to see if he saw his head coaching gig coming so soon. "No, I thought J. would golfing somewhere, enjoying the golf course and his family, buy obviously he had other aspirations. I always knew he was a coach because he would run practices and run film sessions. He was a coach out there on the floor every second he was out there with the Mavericks when I played with him. To see him make that transition as quick as he has, I don't doubt him at all. I believe he will go in instantly and have success."

He also spoke candidly about becoming a coach himself. "That is my dream, that is my aspiration when I'm done is to become a coach. This year, I have to thank the Boston Celtics organization because I will be an assistant coach during the summer league, seating on the bench and getting my feet wet. I'm ready for the transition also."

Terry went on to say he would be open to become a coach at the college level also. He frankly wants a shot at being a head coach.

He also gave us his thoughts on the 2013 NBA Finals Game 6 and his prediction on Game 7.

Below is the full interview:


Listen to internet radio with Real Fans Sports Radio on BlogTalkRadio

No comments:

Post a Comment